CANADIAN HACKNEY SOCIETY
HACKNEY HALL OF FAME
|Welcome to the Hackney Hall of Fame.
This section of our web site is dedicated to the greatest horses, ponies,
exhibitors, breeders and trainers that have made an impact on the Hackney
Wallace Munro (1895-1975) started showing horses in the 1920s, and continued to breed and exhibit Hackney horses, Standardbreds and Roadhorses until about 1970.
His first show ring appearances were local to his home near Embro, and with success at this level of competition, he ventured further. Lord Nelson was champion stallion at the 1932 and 33 Royal Winter Fair, Chesnut Smile was champion mare in on four occasions, between 1933 and 1937. Monoplane was Champion stallion in 1946 and 1947 at the Royal. Seaton Leader, Miss Janis, Love Call and Sailor were prominent winners from his stable during the late 1940s and into the 1950s. Seaton Leader was often pinned at the top of his class, winning the Stake at the 1949 and 1952 Royal Winter Fairs, and stake wins at the CNE, Galt, Hamilton, Western Fair, and St. Catharines. Also during this period, he had Yankee Doodle and Dominion Todd in the Road horse divison, taking a good share of the prizes at the many shows they attended. Brilliant Parader, Proud Susan, City Sue, and Leaders Fancy Girl were shown in later years.
As well as exhibiting, Wallace and his wife Ida kept breeding stock at his farm. Some notable animals he raised were Proud Parader, the sire of Electra Parader; Smiles and Chuckles, a popular winner in harness for Dr and Mrs E E Foster: Princess Margaret, the pride and joy of Maurice and Arthur Leckie, and Proud Ballantrae, the hackney horse that brought the Culliton Brothers into the Hackney business. He encouraged his nephews, Wallace and Ralph Kent, and Lawrence Munro to show horses, each being successful in the divisions they competed in.
Wallace Munro was one of Ontarios most prominent and popular exhibitors, and he will be remembered by spectators and competitors for his winning entries over a long period of time.(Inducted March 2010)
|Click on the CHS Logo to return to the main CHS web page|