Ansley Yeager was born in 1862 in Norfolk County, Ontario.
Provided a 50 acre property when a young man, he became a trusted dealer
in quality horses. Proceeds from his early dealing endeavors allowed him
to purchase the Charlie Brown Tavern, Renton, Ontario, near the town of
Simcoe. He renamed it the Derby Tavern, which provided top class
accomodations for those who traveled so far to buy horses from Yeager's
Derby Stock Farm. Ansley traveled throughout Ontario and the northern US
in search of suitable young prospect that he developed into high class
harness and saddle horses. As he continued to breed and deal more horses,
a farm on the south edge of Simcoe was bought in 1900. New stables were
added as well as building Canada's first indoor arena for schooling
horses. Ansley attended auctions at the New York Horse Exchange, paying
top prices for breeding stock and proven show ring winners. Offspring from
his Hackney stallions Hillhurst Sensation and Overton Prince were winning
at horses shows across North America. Simcoe became a destination for
buyers of top harness and saddle horses. A matched pair of harness horses
were sold to the Prince Of Wales, and were shipped to England. An Arab
Shiek bought another matched pair, and these were shipped to Saudi Arabia.
The Shiek was so taken with his new pair, as a gift to Ansley, two white
mules were shipped to Simcoe to the delight of local residents. A monkey
became a stable mascot, and would cause havoc in the barn buy letting the
mules loose to wander the property. During the first World War, he
assembled large consignments of horses for used by the Canadian and
British Military. He continued to promote and show hackney horses into the
1920s, he had entries in many classes at the first Royal Winter Fair.
Ansley specialized in horses that would go on to be show ring winners,
spent the time to develop them and became one of Norfolk County's leading
businessmen in the early part of the 20th century. Mr. Yeager passed away
in January, 1928.